Friday 18 December 2009

Nike Gunghariya

One of my favourite raagas has been Bilaskhani Todi.. I first fell in love with this raaga when I heard Pt. Satyasheel Deshpande sing this raaga in the song 'Jhoote Naina' along with Asha Bhosale in the film Lekin, composed by Pt. Hridayanath Mangeshkar.

Then one day I heard late Pt D V Paluskar singing 'Nike Ghunghariya' in the same raaga... this recording is of 1959. I found so much similarity in the gayaki of both Pt Paluskar and Pt Deshpande. Pt. D V Paluskar is one of the gems of India.. albeit hidden from the current generation.

Pt. Deshpande took this raaga to another plane in his album Kahen - 'Tanat Na Dhim'. His heavenly voice makes me just close my eyes and drift along the path of perfection, of nirvana.. where there is nothing but me and 'the voice'.. in the shunya... .   

But does the mind, worldly desires.. allow onself to break the chains.. go on a path of the heart.. which has nothing for me, no money, no fame, but pure bliss.. singing for communion with the Lord. Conversations are so futile.. compared with a Classical song.

No comments:

Post a Comment