Sunday 19 July 2009

My favourite marathi songs.. the first 10


After a hectic week and even more busy weekend.. after hazaar chores, the most beautiful time spent on a Sunday evening is sitting at my desk reading and listening to age old favourite Marathi songs. It takes me to a culture which flourished in the sixties to nineties.. Abhang, Natya sangeet.. a legacy left behind by the likes of Pula, Pt Vasantrao Deshpande, Pt Jitendra Abhisheki, Ramdas Kamat, Lata and many more.

Here I would like to share some of the songs which i have liked.. and somewhere I am sure it connects me to some of you at a deeper level. I always felt that I was connected to the total stranger sitting whole nights next to me during Sawai Gandharva.. the love of Hindustani Classical music and Marathi culture creates that unseen bond. Here I go..
Starting with some of the songs from my favourite singer Pt Jitendra Abhisheki


1. दिव्य स्वातंत्र्य रवि

2. घेई छंद मकरंद

3. हे बंध रेशमाचे

4. कैवल्याचा चांदण्याला

This song has been one of my favourites.. it wells up tears, the last stanza Pandurang Pandurang.. crys to the self to leave the worldly things and get lost in the Lords bhakti.

5. काटा रुते कुणाला

6. सर्वातामाका सर्वेश्वरा

7. सागरा प्राण तळमळला

Never has this song failed to make me weep.. weep at the sacrifice of leaders like Swatantrya Veer Sawarkar.. sad that the freedom fighters went through so much hardships, torture, sacrifice for the Matra bhoomi which is today. How will we ever pay back their sacrifice.. I feel their तळमळ to see that our land is free .. not from any foreign rulers.. but from the enemy within.

8. घनश्याम सुंदरा

I would love to wake up with this Bhoopali.. it takes me to villages of Maharashtra.. myself walking bare foot on the red mud, seeing birds fly away in the clear sky, villagers herding their cattle.. walking towards their fields.

9. शूर आम्ही सरदार
Proud to be part of the land of the Greatest Warrior of all, Chatrapati Shivaji Maharaj.

10. गगन सदन तेजोमय
Amazing the way Lataji has sung this.
To be continued..

4 comments:

  1. Dear nandan,
    Can you try to find the exact place in UK where Veer Savarkar stood on the seashore and he had the inspiration to compose those historic lines?
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mama,
    I always thought that Veer Savarkar composed these inspirational lines when held in Andaman jail. But your comment made me research on the web and found that it was on the pebbled beach of Brighton that he wrote this poem. That inspires me to visit this famous beach on the south coast of England.

    Nandan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a lot, Nandan. Nothing like it if you visit the same place and pay tribute to this great Indian hero to whom we haven't returned what he did for us. See the recent function of naming Bandra-Worli sea link. So, if you can visit, pl do. Love.
    Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent list.
    Add a few more...

    ReplyDelete